Monday, August 10, 2009

Name Them One By One...

Garth Lee's surgery went very well. I was upset a little because the anesthesiologist did not premedicate him before taking him back (an anesthesiologist friend told me that they really just need to give the versed to the parents--I certainly would have taken it). It was very sad when he was taken back away from us as he reached out for me and cried, I could barely hold myself together. The surgery took about an hour and a half (much longer than we thought it was supposed to take). When Dr. Britton came in to talk to us, he let us know that this "little" hernia was no such thing, that is was quite a complex case for him. This defect had been there since birth and it has been exposed to increasingly daredevelish acts by my well mannered although at times a little on the hyper side wonderful son. Anyway it was quite a hard repair, but he should do just fine. He woke up well and he wanted to pee more than anything because that is what everyone had told him that once he pees he can go home so that was the first thing he did was disconnect himself from everything that should be connected so that he could pee...and pee he did and almost just walked out the door when our sweet nurse caught us and told him that we would have to lay down for at least and hour and a half before we could go so we showed him on the big clock what to look for to tell him when it was time for us to go. He was very calm and quickly began the hamming up of the injury, but honestly as his mom, I thoroughly enjoyed holding my baby and my baby wanting to be with me. That's the best part. Now, less than a week later the little toot is all over the place. He is a trooper, I know that he really hated his medicine and took it anyways. He's a good and healthy boy and we are so glad that he came out of this even better than before. Thanks to everyone at the Women's and Children's hospital for being so kind and helpful. We had genuinely wonderful people taking care of us. We were quite impressed.

1 comment:

The Strattons said...

We're so glad to hear that Garth Lee's surgery went well & he's back to his old self.