Thursday, November 19, 2009

Reality...And My 100th Post

I can tell that Garth Lee is starting to worry about how his life is going to change when Gavin comes. We talk about it some, but not in too big a way that would make him stress about it, so I don't really know where he is getting it, but the fact is, he is a very observant and astute child and he may just be realizing it on his own. Last night he started crying in bed because he is going to "miss" me when baby Gavin "comes out". He was comforted when I told him that nothing was going to change about how much we love him, that we are just going to add more love to our family when he comes and that we are going to try very hard to keep our routines in place and add Gavin to them instead of letting him dictate new ones (ok, ok, you can stop laughing now...seriously).

He is oddly very happy to point out that baby Gavin's room is in the "down-down" stairs and his is next to us. He was really upset when I told him that Gavin would be in Mommy and Daddy's room for a while before we banished him to the "down-down" stairs nursery. I told him that he would still be allowed to get into our bed when he wakes up in the morning and that baby Gavin would be in a little crib beside our bed. He cheered up and told me he was so happy that I told him all of that because he was very worried and now he feels better. Although he is very excited about having a little brother, I think in his little mind he thinks he is going to be somehow completely sacrificed for the baby.

I am not delusional (usually) and I do realize that our world is about to change in a big way, but I do want to do my best to make sure that my first son never feels like he is playing second fiddle to his sibling(s) and vice versa.

The last thing he said before finally going to sleep was "Mommy, I think after this one 'we' are done".

No comments: