Thursday, January 21, 2010

For Garth Lee's Future Wife...

There are times when kids talk (most times) that no one is really listening to them...I don't think I am alone in being guilty of this. I find myself often giving in to the "uhmmm, hmmm"s and the periodic nod. I don't do it on purpose, I just find myself mindlessly doing it on an almost daily basis...but there are those times that I not only really listen, but I may just egg his elaborate stories on a bit--something I learned from my mom.

I get sad sometimes because Garth Lee talks a lot about when he grows up and moves away, just nonchalant like as if we were talking about the weather. Maybe this is normal for kids to talk about, but I really don't enjoy that my 5 year old is already looking forward to getting out of the house (remind me about this when he is 30 and he still lives in the basement). Along with talking about moving away, he often mentions things about his "wife" that I find terribly cute and I am always thinking I need to write down so I don't forget, so here are a few things that Garth Lee has told me about his future, specifically about and to his future wife:

1. He is going to let you pick the house that you live will live in (and the city)
2. He is going to be the best husband a wife could ever have
3. He will try really hard not to make you mad
4. You might yell at him when you are married, but only maybe 2 times and it will just be because he made you
5. He is going to have a little boy and he is going to name him Garth 5
6. He's not sure if he has met you yet, but he thinks he hasn't, that he will meet you later

Another thing that is interesting that we have noticed is that Garth Lee is "attracted" to dark-headed girls with glasses. He has had a couple of "girlfriends" at school and at church and they both have had dark brown hair and wear glasses. There is also a cute 'girl' who works at my Mom's salon that Garth Lee is quite smitten with and she, too, has dark hair, but no glasses. Not that I think he does or should have a "type" at this age, I just think it could be interesting to look back later.

Not that my opinion counts or will mean too much when the time comes, but I would like to state, for the record, that I hope that Garth Lee's future wife has all of the qualities that he seeks, and I hope that she is someone that he can look up to and that he will want to be like. I hope that she feels the same way about him, like I do about his daddy. I hope that she is strong but kind and that most of all she will be a wonderful mother to my grandchildren. I hope for them both to be happy and to care about what I hope for them, but to ultimately depend on each other and love each other and do what they know is right for them after counseling with the Lord.

Ok, enough of that! Hopefully we are looking at AT LEAST another 16+ years before all of this comes to fruition. In the meantime, I'm just going to enjoy being the woman in my little man's life.

No comments: